Sponsored By FNH USAPresented By SureFire
3-GUN NATION Sponsors & Contributors
Author
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:59:15 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 11:14:22 PM by xtremekramer]
Looking for a holster for my new 5.25. Looking at Comp Tac Paddle Holster, Safariland (No idea which one), Black Hawk Serpa, and Blade Tech. Really like the retention on the serpa, however I have a been reading about people having "accidents" with them....personally think they are due to poor trigger control. But I guess I can see possible issues with the holster release being along the trigger when drawing for speed. I know it is a dang popular holster. One that is on the top of my list. I have been checking out others in light of accidents I have read about. Which Safariland are you guys using/recommending? I have used the ctac and currently use the mtac from comp tac and love their holsters for concealed carry. The paddle holster is starting to look like a good option. Any other holsters I have over looked?

Looks like my biggest issues is not all of them make holsters for the 5.25 yet.
jtielke
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2012 1:05:59 AM
[Last Edit: 4/2/2012 1:10:06 AM by jtielke]
Comp-Tac makes great holsters for concealed carry and IDPA but they're not my favorite for this sport. I use a Blade-Tech WRS holster for 3-gun. It has retention but you can choose if you want to have it on or not unlike the Serpa and others which are always on. If I'm starting a stage with the pistol I'll leave the retention off so I can do a quicker draw. If the stage requires you to run a good distance or something else physical I can set the retention strap so I don't have to worry about the pistol getting knocked or jumping out. Also you can get the holster with the Tek-Lok attachment which makes it easy to take it on and off a regular belt as the stages require it.

Edit: Read what pistol you had after I posted and noticed Blade-Tech doesn't have it listed as a selection on their website.
xtremekramer
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2012 2:11:38 PM
Yeah I am finding that out as well. I added the last sentance after reviewing the blad tech website...however, i thought i had read an artical saying they had one specifically for the 5.25. I never did find it if they do. I like the fact you can turn the renention on and off. How does that work? May have to contact them and see if they will be coming out with one for the 5.25. Sounds like a feature that would be great to have.
terribleshot
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2012 5:45:52 PM
I used a CR speed race "rail" holster that's more appropriate for the pistol matches. I never had a problem waddling through a stage until I fell last year. Landed on my back and hitting the gun from behind will pop it right out of that holster. Luckily, years of falling down and never spilling my beer caused me to grab the gun as I went down. It came out, but it was in my hand so all I had to do was stand up and reholster. They don't make it easy to find a holster for a 6" STI so I'm having a great leather guy make one. Not cheap but I'm old and single so I have a bit of money to spend on toys.
jtielke
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2012 9:22:29 PM
Originally Posted By xtremekramer:
Yeah I am finding that out as well. I added the last sentance after reviewing the blad tech website...however, i thought i had read an artical saying they had one specifically for the 5.25. I never did find it if they do. I like the fact you can turn the renention on and off. How does that work? May have to contact them and see if they will be coming out with one for the 5.25. Sounds like a feature that would be great to have.

I'd call them and see if they make holsters for the 5.25, surely they do by now. The retention is a spring loaded strap that is released by a thumb break. You have to manually pull it back after you holster the gun for it to be on. If you just leave it forward there is no retention and works just like a regular DOH holster that many use for USPSA Production division. I used the DOH holster for years so that familiarity was a big plus to me.
gakracker
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2013 4:36:17 PM
With my first match just over a month away, I called Bladetech about the WRS Level ll. The girl did not seem to be sure at first BUT finally said the M&P Pro 9 version will not fit my new CORE model, guess she found it in the notes. I even thought about ordering it as a Dremel job but decided the darn thing is a bit expensive for such. I guess I will use the Taurus 92 in that first match and wait for the holster market to catch up with the S&W CORE line.
RDTCU
Angry Engineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2013 4:42:56 PM
I've got a Comp Tac International, and after bending up a custom drop to fit my belt better, I love it.
The factory drop was too far out and stuck the grip out in left field.

ancientnewbie
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2013 9:57:20 PM
Blade-Tech does make the OWB holster for the Springfield 5.25. I got one last year , with the off-set and drop , and tec-lok. Works O.K. for me , but I don't get too fractious with running and jumping and such.
I just started trying to shoot this game in May 2012. Still learning the basics , every match has some new lesson. Too much fun!!!
caemgen
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/25/2013 12:56:36 AM
i like the owb kydex/leather hybrid holsters that garrett industries (http://www.giholsters.com/) makes.
gakracker
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:13 AM
Being a really old dinosaur I do not think I would be as apt to perform some of the athletic moves I see on the 3GN 'big match' videos but still have not ruled out the Level II retention holsters. I know what I want beyond retention but am getting the impression that the guns I presently own are not fully supported yet. My current options will be to use a late model Taurus 92 or a M&P Pro9 CORE in a nylon holster until I can better study the holster situation. My choice of a Level II was the Blade Tech WRS, due to several other features but if the Level II is dropped and friction alone is sufficient then there might be a couple of other choices. Sadly, even they are not as commonly available to fit my particular gun models at this time.

The Blade Tech WRS Duty Holster somewhat mimics the western style holster models that I have preferred and would likely be easier to transition to. It has a small amount of drop and offers a small amount of adjustable cant. It also tilts the grip out from the body a slight bit and with its option of adjustable tension with on or off Level II protection, it really looks good. Later

muddywings
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/13/2013 5:10:59 PM
little late to the party but I will add that these problems is why i got into making my own kydex holsters myself. I made my own holster for my 5.25. It started with a G-code RTI wheel but now I use a teclok for attachment. works good, lasts long time.
dflowe
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/26/2013 8:34:16 PM
Blade-Tech Pro Comp holster works great with the XDM. tek-lok system for easy placement and 2 retention screws.