Sponsored By FNH USAPresented By SureFire
3-GUN NATION Sponsors & Contributors
Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 2/24/2012 9:17:31 AM
[Last Edit: 2/24/2012 1:41:29 PM by RifleDog]
The Remington 1100 Tactical 22" barrel sells for around $750. It is 8 +1 and has screw in vector chokes. Has anyone seen these at matches or knows anyone who has one ? Im interested in trying to determine how they function and compare to say the FN SLP or 930 SPX.

thanks in advance for any information you might have and be willing to share.

Ted
StealthyBlagga
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2012 4:57:17 PM
[Last Edit: 2/24/2012 4:58:21 PM by StealthyBlagga]
I ran Remington 11-87s for 15 years. I liked them and will loyally defend them. They always ran well for me, but I really knew how to keep them running (lots of preventative maintenance and cleaning, keeping an eye on failure-prone parts etc.). Now I run a Versa Max, and am very happy with not having to keep it clean like the older guns.

With the newer, more robust and reliable options out there (Winchester/FN SLP, Benelli M1/M2, Remington Versa Max, Mossberg 930) I would not recommend that anyone spend $750 on a new Remington 1100 (Tactical or otherwise). Nowadays, the Remington 1100/11-87 only really makes sense as a used base-gun in the <$400 price range, and then only if you find yourself under that kind of budget constraint.
SERVED_USMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:09:50 PM
Is this their "Tac4" model?

If so, I owned mine for about a year and shot it in about 4 3gun matches and about 300 rounds at the house.

I hated it.

Out of the box it was picky with ammo, even up to 3 1/4 dram. Wouldnt consistently cycle any slugs I tried (3 or 4 different brands) and it was a PITA to load even with the Daves Metal works lifter I put on it. Sure, I could have called Remington and tried to hash it out, or changed a few parts to see if I could zero the problem, but I dont have time during a match to try and find out whats wrong with it before moving to the next stage. I sold it and ended up with a 24'' Benelli M2 and am beyond pleased with it. Mosseburg and FN have some good guns to from what Ive been told but have no personal experience with them.

I know that I can run the M2 into the ground and it will still do what I need it to, and has never had feed or ejection issues with 3dram or low recoil slugs.

Fullauto_Shooter
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2012 8:46:08 PM
Originally Posted By RifleDog:
The Remington 1100 Tactical 22" barrel sells for around $750. It is 8 +1 and has screw in vector chokes. Has anyone seen these at matches or knows anyone who has one ? Im interested in trying to determine how they function and compare to say the FN SLP or 930 SPX.

thanks in advance for any information you might have and be willing to share.

Ted

Trust me on this. Scrape your dollars together until you have $1150 and then go buy yourself a Benelli M2 with 21" or 24" barrel and be happy for the rest of your life.

I started with the Rem 1100 Tactical model and it ran pretty good for the first year and a half - then it crapped the bed at the 2007 MG Nationals. Screwed around with it and did all the tricks "new O-rings, enlarged gas ports, steel-wooled tube, etc" and could never fix it to the point I'd trust it in a major match. Finally got an M2, had Benny trick it out, and it's run like a scalded cat.

My advice - save yourself some frustration and headaches; just buy the best at jump-street, get a Benelli.

RifleDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2012 8:56:26 PM
Ok great, thanks for the input, ...............yes I agree, you are usually better off and money ahead to go ahead and buy quality the first time instead of trying to save money and go sub-par and then not being happy with it. Ive pretty much decided on a M2 .............I wish the longer barrel models were more available.

SERVED_USMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2012 9:46:10 PM
Originally Posted By RifleDog:
Ok great, thanks for the input, ...............yes I agree, you are usually better off and money ahead to go ahead and buy quality the first time instead of trying to save money and go sub-par and then not being happy with it. Ive pretty much decided on a M2 .............I wish the longer barrel models were more available.

I didnt realize it then, but I know now how extremely lucky I was to find one in a 24''...let alone finding one at all.

I had placed a 21'' on order through the local shop, and since Benelli is only direct from factory orders I got a lead time of 60-90 days which is standard. I went in there the very nexr weekend with the wife to find her an EDC gun and saw it on the shelf! I had them cancel the order and picked that one up. Glad I did.
JesseTischauser
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/29/2012 1:51:17 PM
If you are looking to save some $ you can always find used M1's in pawn shops, forum classifieds and on gun broker for under $800. My buddy just bought a like new 26" M1 for $780 shipped. The shorter barreled guns are harder to find becseu 3 gun is so popular and they aren't produced as frequently as the longer barreled guns. No reason you can't compete with a 28" barrel though.
JESSE
www.JesseTischauser.com
www.BoomerShooter.com
Shooter115
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/29/2012 5:56:09 PM
I just put together an M2 a couple months ago. Picked up a new 26” M2 off Gunbroker for $960, Added a Nordic +7 tube (got lucky and found one on the EE), had C-rums weld the lifter, opened the loading port, added a Hi-Viz FO front bead and stippled the grips. I’ve got less than $1100 in it and am very happy so far. Probably only have about 300 rounds through it, but it’s been a rock.

I wouldn’t worry about the longer barrel, my 26” 10+1 M2 is still lighter than a 22” 8+1 MK1 SLP and I don’t think there are going to be a whole lot of stages out there that the extra 2” on the barrel will be an hindrance.
MexicanNinja
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2012 11:28:18 AM
I have an 1100 tac4, and an SLP. I have about 1000 round down the pipe of the 1100, it will eat anything I shoot out of it, I love it. My SLP has given me nothing but problems. That why I joined so I could find out why my SLP won't work...
Assaulter
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2012 4:58:26 PM
Originally Posted By MexicanNinja:
I have an 1100 tac4, and an SLP. I have about 1000 round down the pipe of the 1100, it will eat anything I shoot out of it, I love it. My SLP has given me nothing but problems. That why I joined so I could find out why my SLP won't work...

What's it doing? Do you have a welded lifter?
MexicanNinja
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/22/2012 11:38:07 AM
Originally Posted By Assaulter:

I have no mods done to it, its new about 200 rounds shot out of it.
Glockfan
NRA Life Endowment Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 11:20:16 PM
I have seen more Remington 1100's choke in matches than any other gun. There is a saying if you have a Remington go down in a match everyone will know how to fix it, but if a Benelli goes down no one will. The reason being is Remingtons always choke and Benelli's almost never do.
Pat
Firearms Instructor.
Colt M16/AR15 and 1911 Armorer.
Glock Armorer.
USPSA A56876 B Class
dhunt91
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 11:45:14 PM
Originally Posted By Assaulter:

I have no mods done to it, its new about 200 rounds shot out of it.

If It's New then the Iv heard the SLP has about a 300 to 400 round break in where ur gonna want to run something heavier than 1oz shot outta it after that it should be good to chew anything u stick in it.

Also did you clean it when u first got it?
I know some companies put excessive amounts of lube on them to prevent them from gumming up and going dry incase they sit on a shelf for awhile
FenrirKildar
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2012 7:49:52 AM
I rule a Remington 1100 TAC4 for Tactical Optics/Limited though I sometimes run it in Heavy Metal depending on the rules of the match. Honestly I find with the right ammo it runs just fine, and I don't have issues with shooting it. The only thing that makes me want to upgrade to maybe a VersaMax is I simply HATE the loading gate/bolt release button combo on the 1100, and even the 11-87. I use the Load 2 method of reloading, and I feel a shotgun without a loading gate like the 1100 or 11-87 shotguns would be much fasters to load than my 1100. Though if I do decide to keep it anyway I figure I shall just get a new loading gate/easy loader I believe some people call it.
MexicanNinja
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/1/2012 2:14:18 PM
It's working now, I just needed to brake it in. Never had to brake in my 1100...